Evaluation of Wild Birds in the main Campus of Usmanu ‎Danfodiyo University Sokoto, Sokoto State Nigeria


  • Musa Zara Department of Forestry, Faculty of Agriculture, Usmanu Danfodiyo University
  • Mustapha Sani Bunza Department of Forestry and Environment, Faculty of Agriculture,Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto,Sokoto State
  • Alarape Abideen Department of Wildlife and Ecotourism Management, Faculty of Renewable Natural Resources, University of Ibadan,Oyo State




Re-evaluation, avifauna, Conservation, Diversity


A re-evaluation study was conducted after eight years of the initial survey to find out the ‎distribution and diversity of avifauna concerning land use types in the main campus of Usmanu ‎Danfodiyo University Sokoto. This was carried out to serve as a follow-up to a survey carried ‎out in 2011 in the study area. Re-evaluation of species diversity is important in conservation as ‎it gives more information on habitat conditions which is necessary for drawing conservation ‎strategies. The study area was stratified into the major land-use types which are Residential, ‎Farmland, Administrative, and Wetland areas. The line transect method was used to collect data ‎on bird abundance and distribution. The Simpson index of diversity (SID) was used to ‎determine species diversity between habitat types whereas the Shannon-Weiner diversity index ‎‎(H) was used to determine species diversity across the entire area. On the other hand, the ‎Equitability index of Evenness (EH) was used to determine evenness in the distribution of ‎avifauna across the entire area. A total of 3183 birds belonging to 23 families and 44 species ‎were recorded. Out of these numbers, 1037(32.58%) were recorded in a residential area, a total ‎of 519 birds (16.31%) were recorded in administrative areas, farmland recorded 1556 birds ‎‎(48.88%), and wetland areas recorded 71 birds (2.23%). The diversity index ranges from 0.45-‎‎0.77 with the highest being administrative areas and the lowest being wetland. The Shannon-‎Weiner diversity index was 2.35 which indicates considerable diversity across the area. ‎


Abduljalil, A.A. (2011). A survey of Game Birds distribution and abundance in Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, Sokoto State, Nigeria. Unpublished; A Research Project Submitted to the Department of Forestry and Environment.· Akosim, C., Shitta A.E., Kwaga, B.T. and Inah, E.I.(2007).Avifauna diversity and status in some wetlands in Adamawa state, Nigeria. International Journal of Agricultural Science, Sciences Environment and Technology(ASSET).

Bideberi G, 2013. Diversity, Distribution and abundance of Avifauna in Respect to Habitat Types: a case study of Kilakala and Bigwa, Morogoro, Tanzania. Thesis for Master of Science, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania, P.2.

Bunza M.S, Adeyanju T.A, Yager G.O, Malik R., and Efenakpo O.D (2017). Effects of Traffic volume on Wild Birds and Diversity indices in Awba Lake Environment, University of Ibadan, Nigeria. Journal of Agriculture and Environment. 13 (1): 161-17·

Borrow, N. and Demey R. (2008). Birds of Western Africa. Christopher Helm, London. Pp.511.· Humphrey, Q.P.C. (2004). The impacts of climatic change on birds. Ibis 146(1):48-56.·

Kwaga, B. T., Iliya D., Ali A. and Khabe D. (2017). Avifauna Abundance and Diversity in Jos Wildlife Park Nigeria. Agricultural Science and Technology Journal. Vol. 9, No. 3, pp 234-239.·

Mamman, A.B., Oyebanji, J.O., and Peters, S.W. (2000) Nigeria: A people united, a future assured (Survey of states) Vol. 2 Gabumo Publishing Co. Ltd. Calabar Nigeria 121-135.·

Nason, I. (1992). Discovering birds species, Pisces publication. 67-69.

Ramchandra, A.M. (2013). Diversity and richness of bird species in newly formed habitats of Chandoli National Park in Western Ghats, Maharashtra State, India. Biodiversity Journal Vol. 4, 235-242.· Safra, J. E. (1998). The New Encyclopedia Britannica, 15th edition, Chicago, pp 1-112.

Tanko, D. and Ivande S.T. (2011). A Survey of the Avifauna of Relatively Undisturbed Vegetation Zaria. ROAN vol. 5 No.1. Ecoson National conference Edition.·

Westphal, C. I., Steffan-Dewenter and T. Tscharntke. (2006). Bumblebees experience landscapes at different spatial scales: possible implications for coexistence. Oecologia 149:289-300.




How to Cite

Zara, M. ., Bunza, M. S., & Abideen, A. . (2021). Evaluation of Wild Birds in the main Campus of Usmanu ‎Danfodiyo University Sokoto, Sokoto State Nigeria. Scientific Reports in Life Sciences, 2(4), 20–29. https://doi.org/10.22034/srls.2021.543665.1024